But the thing is I don't like too sweet cookies although I'm a big fan of Nutella:)) I really believe that the lesser sugar in the recipe, the deeper flavor you get from the cookie. So during my research for different flavored cookies, I found this recipe in Cookies,Brownies & More Recipe Collection Book.
I modified the recipe little bit though..I've included 1 tbls lemon zest to give a refreshing taste, used wheat flour ( original recipe uses all-purpose flour) and reduced the sugar almost to half!!! They came out quite delicious and a healthier choice as well..
Here's the recipe & enjoy:))
- 1 cup Crisco All Vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbs lemon zest
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 375 F
- Roast almond slices in a nonstick pan for 3-5 min to boost their flavor and aroma.
- Combine shortening and sugars in a large bowl. Beat in eggs,vanilla and lemon zest.
- Combine flour,baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add to creamed mixture and mix well. Add chocolate chips and almonds.
- Prepare cookie pan with baking sheet. By using an ice cream scoop,drop dough 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets ( you can use a regular tablespoon as well). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned ( do not over-bake it!! ). Cool on cookie sheets 4 min, transfer to cooling racks.