Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chocolate Chip Almond Cookies

I don't know what's going on with me recently but I've been searching for delicious cookie recipes a lot nowadays.. It may be because of my husband since I bake for him very often so that he could take them to his office for the breakfast or as a snack. Or may be they are easy to make compared to other baked goods and they require less ingredients thus cost less:))

But the thing is I don't like too sweet cookies although I'm a big fan of Nutella:)) I really believe that the lesser sugar in the recipe, the deeper flavor you get from the cookie. So during my research for different flavored cookies, I found this recipe in Cookies,Brownies & More Recipe Collection Book.

I modified the recipe little bit though..I've included 1 tbls lemon zest to give a refreshing taste, used wheat flour ( original recipe uses all-purpose flour) and reduced the sugar almost to half!!! They came out quite delicious and a healthier choice as well..

Here's the recipe & enjoy:))

  • 1 cup Crisco All Vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1tbs lemon zest
  • 2 cups wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup sliced almonds 
  1. Heat oven to 375 F
  2. Roast almond slices in a nonstick pan for 3-5 min to boost their flavor and aroma.
  3. Combine shortening and sugars in a large bowl. Beat in eggs,vanilla and lemon zest.
  4. Combine flour,baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add to creamed mixture and mix well. Add chocolate chips and almonds.
  5. Prepare cookie pan with baking sheet. By using an ice cream scoop,drop dough 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets ( you can use a regular tablespoon as well). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned ( do  not over-bake it!! ). Cool on cookie sheets 4 min, transfer to cooling racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment